- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Professional Svcs
- Industry: EdTech
- Post Date: 11/16/2023
- Website: empowerly.com
- Company Address: 2261 Market Street, #4555, San Francisco, California 94114, US
- Salary Range: $50,000 - $150,000
About EmpowerlyWe empower students to become the most successful version of themselves with personalized college & career guidance.
Empowerly (Empowerly.com) is an education technology company that personalizes college and career counseling, with a mission to empower students to become the most successful version of themselves. From college preparation, landing internships, and beyond, we support students in achieving their academic goals.
We provide data-driven education technology, start up and research internship programs, and personalized counseling led by former college Admission Officers and experienced college counselors. We are a rapidly growing, mission-driven, and venture-backed company. It takes a unified team committed to our core values – collaboration, data driven, and empowerment – to achieve this goal and a fast-moving team committed to serving the needs of families.
Each student is holistically evaluated through our Empowerly Score™ — the only predictive technology that can also quantify subjective material. Each student is offered a three-pronged approach to evaluate academics, essays, and extracurricular activities – providing them a 360-degree view of how to be competitive against other applicants.
As of February 2022, Empowerly has raised $12 million from investors, including Goodwater Capital, FJ Labs, Scrum Ventures, Translink Capital, Azure Capital Partners, and Spero Ventures.
About The Role
We are looking for part-time college counselors for high school students. We prefer college counselors with years of experience and/or former admissions officers at top colleges. We also prefer college counselors who have graduated from top 50 colleges and have a STEM background (preferably in computer science, engineering, and/or medicine).
Many of our students live in the San Francisco Bay Area and apply for top 50 colleges, including the UCs and Ivy League schools. We particularly have many aspiring pre-med students (BS/MD programs) and computer science students.
College Counselors (primary need) help high school students through the college admissions process. Responsibilities include creating academic and extracurricular road maps, providing college application structure and feedback, and assisting with passion discovery and early career development.
Graduate School Counselors help students through graduate school admissions process. Requires knowledge and experience in specific graduate school admissions processes such as medical school, law school, MBA programs, PhD programs, and more.
Career Counselors provide career advice to get accepted to competitive internships and jobs, including passion discovery, resume and cover letter editing, interview prep, networking tips, and more.
- Keep up to date with current college admission changes.
- Take 10-20 students with flexibility based on schedule and bandwidth.
- Advise students about extracurriculars that expand interests and may potentially present leadership opportunities.
- Help students with meaningful summer plans by applying to internships, explore competitions, research opportunities, and community service options.
- Create a plan for standardized testing that includes strategies for improving scores and help decide which tests are appropriate.
- Help create college lists, rate colleges for students (reach, target, and safety), and offer tips for college visits.
- Guidance through the entire application process: personal statement, activities, resume, recommendation letters, essay review and edits, utilizing research when necessary, reviewing entire application materials before submitting.
- Strategizing plan for early action, early decision, regular decision as well as waitlisted strategies and college choice guidance.
- Discuss financial aid resources and guidance as well as merit scholarship resources.
- Prepare for sessions in advance, be on time, log sessions in a timely manner, stay in touch with students, maintain a healthy relationship with parents, and include parents in all communications.
- Attend monthly team meetings.
- Utilize resources available within Empowerly to provide optimal advice for all students.
- Monitor Empowerly email account and Slack account for up-to-date Empowerly communications.
- Graduate from a top 50 national university (advanced degrees like MD, PhD, MBA, JD, or Masters are a plus)
- Experience as a college counselor for high school students, with a track record of acceptances into a top 50 national university
- Have consistent availability in the afternoons (after 3:00 p.m.) and/or on weekends to meet with students.
- Possess passion for education, talent for teaching, essay writing, and essay editing.
- Possess exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Able to plan around and meet deadlines
- Possess dedication to client service
- Able to commit to students for multi-year packages
- Former admissions officers at top 50 colleges
- Experienced independent college counselors (NACAC, WACAC, IECA, etc)