Relational databases are awesome. They support foreign keys, transactions and SQL. They are powerful, well-understood, well-supported and battle hardened. But they do not scale beyond a single node like NoSQL systems do...
What if there was a way to keep all the advantages of a relational database, but have the ability to horizontally scale them like a NoSQL system? What if this system provided guardrails that protected databases from toxic queries? What if all this could be achieved with minimal changes to your application while letting it view your sharded MySQL cluster as a giant monolithic database? What if the operational management of this system was simple and intuitive?
We built Vitess at Google to scale, manage and monitor YouTube’s MySQL databases on Borg, the blueprint for Kubernetes. Today, Vitess is an Apache 2 Licensed open source project owned by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, and uses MySQL as the underlying data store which is the most popular open source database. It is trusted by companies like Square, Slack and GitHub to run mission-critical workloads at massive scale.
At PlanetScale, we have built a fully hosted database-as-a-service that allows developers and businesses to deploy new databases around the globe with just a few clicks and manages them with production grade workflows via an intuitive user interface. We take care of backups, restores, applying schema changes, applying software patches, master failovers, while providing world class durability and availability guarantees. We call this PlanetScaleDB.
You understand the developer mindset and can empathize with their goals and needs. You can catch on quickly to any issue and are proficient with, or have a background in, developer support or troubleshooting. You are fascinated by the up and coming game-changers for developers and enjoy the thrill of exploring new languages and development frameworks. You are self-motivated and are comfortable working in organizations with high degrees of autonomy. Your multitasking skills are on point and you can work effectively across multiple developer support issues and frameworks.
What You Will Be Doing
You will be responsible for our day-to-day direct to developer support. When there are questions you will answer them, when there are problems you will fix them. You will build out our nascent developer support platform and the collateral needed to enable our customers. Specifically:
- Functioning as the first wholly developer focused support engineer
- Tasked with both providing developer support and scaling internal processes
- Creating or assisting with the creation of materials/documentation for the developer support team
- Showing developers how to modify their queries and applications to use PlanetScaleDB to its fullest
- Helping developers with integrating their application framework to use PlanetScaleDB
- Figuring out what gaps exist in PlanetScaleDB for developers and helping our Engineering teams to prioritize and close them
What Will Help You Be Successful
- Experience with various application frameworks and their interactions with databases (ORMs, etc.). Our customers use all kinds of languages and frameworks to speak to MySQL. While no-one can possibly be fluent with all of them, knowledge of a few can be super-useful
- Willingness to explore new languages and frameworks, as required, to be able to assist customers
- Knowledge of or experience with SQL, preferably MySQL
- Programming experience. While you will not be programming full-time, you will need to have the ability to pinpoint problems by reading and navigating unfamiliar code
- Strong ability to communicate and deal directly with customers, whether in email, Slack, video conference, or in person. Experience contributing to publications or documentation would be ideal but not required
Perks At PlanetScale
- Work closely with a cross functional team of highly motivated and intelligent folks with a unique range of startup and enterprise experience
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Benefits & 401k plan option
- Unlimited vacation
Founded in 2018, PlanetScale helps businesses solve their relational data scaling problems by deploying and operationalizing Vitess clusters on premise as well as in the cloud. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, but is a remote first environment with teammates around the globe. PlanetScale is backed by SignalFire and Andreessen Horowitz. PlanetScale has an experienced team from innovative companies like Paypal, Google, Youtube, GitHub and Dropbox. To learn more about PlanetScale, visit www.planetscale.com.