Are you ready to join the API revolution?
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
About the role:
We are looking for an Assistant Controller who is looking for a fast-paced environment and is ready to scale a world-class organization. This role will have a blend of technical accounting skills, execution, and the uncanny ability to take things end to end. This position will be responsible for designing and owning scalable financial processes, making sure we close on time and ensuring our books are GAAP compliant. You will be responsible for overseeing core accounting functions including financial reporting, month-end close, domestic and international tax compliance (with the help of 3rd party service provider) and annual audits.
What you'll be doing:
- Oversight of the core accounting responsibilities for Kong’s entities including intercompany transactions, detailed financial analysis, and management reporting
- Management of multiple service provider relationships including audit, tax, and outsourced operational and technical accounting (revenue is a plus)
- Identifying opportunities for efficiency improvements and driving implementation of the solutions
- Supporting new and existing research and products by working cross-functionally to manage financial risk and develop and maintain scalable accounting processes
- Jointly overseeing global compliance with Kong’s Legal team including completion of annual audits for Kong’s entities
- Working with broader Finance teams to analyze deviations in budgeted versus actual results
- Ensuring and documenting GAAP compliance across various disciplines including R&D, leases, revenue, and equity
What you'll bring:
- 8+ years of relevant accounting experience at some combination of public accounting firm, private company, or start-up, showing progressive responsibilities for team management
- Big 4 accounting background preferably through manager level
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or equivalent and excellent technical accounting skills, with a detailed understanding of GAAP standards
- Strong project management skills encompassing attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage concurrent high priority tasks, and meet coinciding deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple cross-functional initiatives and engage with key external strategic partners
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, dynamic, and complex environment
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with modern financial and accounting software and systems, particularly NetSuite, Blackline or other reconciliation platforms, Carta or equivalent equity management software, and familiarity setting up foreign entities and related ongoing compliance
Kong Core Values:
Global - We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger. We seek to understand different points of view and their implications on work.
Real - We are genuine, principled and confident without an attitude. We seek to understand our own strengths and vulnerabilities. We understand the effect of external factors on ourselves and we manage our own emotions and understand the effect they have on other people.
Unstoppable - We are biased towards action and decision, we persevere and always go the extra mile. We understand how to prioritize and work with urgency and focus. We are self-motivated and exhibit a high personal drive.
Champion - We listen and speak up for customers, community, partners and each other. We have an ability to provide feedback that is specific, constructive and fact-based. We listen, are able to receive feedback without taking it personally and we look at our own performance in order to improve.
Explorer - We challenge the status quo by discovering, innovating, failing fast and learning. We are self-directing and use creativity when solving problems that may be complex and ambiguous. We are adaptable, able to navigate and solve problems, especially in times of rapid change and high-ambiguity.