At the forefront of farming and food, Memphis Meats is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. Memphis Meats is a mission-driven company focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Research Engineer will work as part of a research & development team prototyping laboratory-scale platforms for cultivating cells into meat. Primary responsibilities will be providing support for the design, fabrication, assembly, evaluation, operation and maintenance of our experimental cultivation platforms for cultivating cells into meat. This role will interface with our cell cultivation staff on a daily basis to support experimental operations in the laboratory and to understand design needs. This role may also require management of projects outsourced to contract engineering firms. This is a very “hands-on” position that will require attention to detail, creativity grounded in an ability to execute on projects, organization, communication, and critical thinking skills. This individual should both be comfortable accepting and acting upon instruction from others, while demonstrating a willingness to provide innovative solutions to unstructured requests. Communication skills will be required both in the assembly and presentation of their ideas and work product. Beyond the research engineer’s primary responsibilities, the engineer will also be responsible for the success of the team as a whole by maintaining a functional laboratory environment, addressing problems as they arise and supporting others in their capacity to do so.
- Daily communication with biological support staff to understand and support hardware design & operation needs.
- Evaluation of prototyped hardware assemblies for performance against targeted criteria
- Maintenance of experimental hardware and laboratory equipment which may include repair, cleaning, sterilization, calibration, assembly and troubleshooting
- In silico design & modeling of platform architecture and fluid dynamics.
- In-house component fabrication
- Identification and procurement of components
- Ideation of design concepts with team
- Assist team members in biological workstreams
- Managing relationships and external partners and externally contracted projects
- Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering degree with 0 - 4 years of industry experience
- Proficiency in a suite of fabrication technologies & tools
- Proficient in the use of CAD and CFD engineering software
- Cell culture and aseptic technique experience preferred, but not required