D-Wave’s systems are multi-disciplinary in nature, spanning physics, mechanical engineering, cryogenics engineering, low noise analog and high frequency mixed signal electronics, software engineering, and superconducting circuit design. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave Advantage processor, is built around a novel superconducting quantum processor designed to exploit quantum resources known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. Our systems are currently being used by customers such as Lockheed Martin, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and Oakridge National Laboratory. Groundbreaking work by D-Wave scientists and our customers is regularly published in high profile journals.
The Senior Microwave Communication Scientist/Engineer role:
D-Wave is looking for a creative, energetic, and self-motivated professional to join us as a Senior Microwave Communication Engineer/Scientist. In this challenging position, you will be responsible for identifying and solving problems arising in the design, development, performance evaluation and improvement of the communication interface to our advanced superconducting quantum processors. A primary goal of this work is to develop and implement D-Wave’s next generation high bandwidth communications system between the system control electronics and the quantum processor, including on-processor superconducting microwave components.
- Design and implementation of next generation microwave communications systems including electronics, transmission components and superconducting elements on processor.
- Continuous improvement of the superconducting communications systems’ bandwidth, signal integrity, and its impact on the processor environment including isolation of the processor from thermal and electromagnetic noise
- Working closely with the multi-disciplinary teams in Engineering and Processor Development and acting as a key interface between the teams
- Clearly documenting and communicating the work and progress to the internal development teams
- Masters degree or higher in Engineering Physics, Experimental Physics, or Electrical Engineering or the equivalent in relevant education and experience
- Multi-year experience in microwave circuit design including filtering, switching, multiplexing, and transmission lines
- Excellent understanding of engineering and physics with strong multi-disciplinary technical skills
- Excellent understanding of low-noise, high frequency analog and mixed signal electronics
- Understanding of pertinent physical phenomena such as blackbody radiation and Johnson-Nyquist noise
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent hands-on ability and trouble shooting skills, including circuit debugging with vector network analyzers, spectrum analyzers and related tools
- Strong organizational and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment that is focused on priorities and end results
- Self-motivated, proactive, flexible and passionate about learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Bonus Qualifications - exceptional candidates will have one or more of the following
- Knowledge of relevant E&M modelling tools (SPICE, Ansys HFSS or similar)
- Strong software engineering skills related to experimental design, data acquisition, and analysis
- Experience with microwave frequency superconducting circuits
- Knowledge of Cadence or other integrated circuit design software
- Experience in superconducting detector design for sub-mm astronomy, superconducting quantum computing, or similar scientific applications
- Experience with cryogenic engineering and systems
- Understanding of thermal conductance at low temperatures
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.