- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Consumer Software
- Post Date: 11/24/2022
- Website: ava.me
- Company Address: 60 Spear Street, San Francisco, CA, 94105
About AvaGrabbing lunch with friends, attending a last-minute business meeting, a joyful Thanksgiving dinner often turns into a painful experience for 400 million people with hearing loss. Lipreading stays the only affordable solution to follow daily group conversations, and it's not even a good one.
Be a pioneer in modern communication using technologies and Architect one of the most impactful projects of a generation 🚀
Ava started as a mobile and cloud-based deep-learning system able to uniquely daisy chain mobile devices' microphones to accurately live transcribe any conversation. As users brought it to work and school en masse, the platform quickly added human curation through live professional transcribers, multiple languages, and web/desktop compatibility.
We're looking for an experienced Backend Developer to empower a sharp AI-driven engineering team and the architecture of our systems to be able to reach the next level of scale.
If you've successfully built and scaled systems, including with other engineers, and are able to articulate well together business, product, and technical challenges to build a robust backend, and you are now looking to make a huge impact on society, this would be a real ideal position for you.
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- 3-5 years of experience
- You're skilled with NodeJS, Express, TypeScript, AWS, GCP, etc.
- You have a strong desire to empower and cooperate with different teams in different time zones, wanting to really prove yourself as a great engineer and colleague.
- You still want to grow your technical chops, and expect to contribute technically in a meaningful way — this is a startup environment.
- You've built yourself great quality products that have reached a large audience, and have been involved in key decisions regarding building systems on a large scale.
- You can learn technologies as you go, exceptionally fast. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care and can think deeply about the business implications of our engineering work. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You're a great and articulate communicator and teammate.
- ✨Bonus: You're very familiar with React, Vue.js, WebRTC, and Audio processing.
- ✨Bonus: You've designed complex systems among them: call centers and real-time peer-to-peer communications.
- ✨Bonus: MS in Computer Science
- ✨Bonus: You've led or had a senior role within an engineering team before, in a high-growth environment, and helped built a strong engineering culture.
So... what will you do as a Senior Backend Engineer at Ava?
- You'll help scale Ava as a key communication service millions of deaf/hard-of-hearing users & their peers can rely on.
- You'll design and build a reliable and performant infrastructure on projects - such as improving the reliability of our real-time audio & text sync service.
- You'll conceive algorithms to accommodate real-time multi-editing and audio processing.
- You'll write our new API to accelerate & build integrations with multiple complementary productivity & communication services.
- You'll be designing and improving key security features to keep Ava safe for all, including our professional users.
- You'll review & elaborate an ambitious but realistic backend roadmap, in collaboration with all stakeholders, in particular our AI Lead, Product Lead, and CTO - and keep it current.
- You'll take meaningful ownership in solving some of our complex challenges - around scalability, stack complexity across platforms, and necessary technologies to adopt.
- You'll constantly keep an eye on the big picture to prepare the backend for new challenges that might come up.
- You'll co-work with the Product team in the US and AI team in the EU quickly growing to 12+, using effective practices to help everyone deliver and you will be instrumental to help to build a great engineering culture.
- You'll articulate our technological choices & approach alongside our CEO to investors and other key stakeholders
Why this Role?
- Actually change lives at an unprecedented scale: How often do you hear about apps that make people cry with joy? It is really for us a unique opportunity and privilege to be able to meaningfully improve the lives of 100,000s people - and yet to still be at the very beginning of our mission!
- Join us at an incredible time: We're well-funded and hit product-market fit, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'd join at the perfect time to shape what we build and how we grow, so we can create a more inclusive world.
- Work with some of the best people in the world: We have an incredibly talented and passionate team that is a lot of fun to work with. We're still super small and have accomplished some things that were thought impossible!
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. You'd jump between product, marketing, internal tools, process — participating in every phase from inception to implementation. Absolutely no boredom.
Thanks for making it here. You probably are really good at what you do and have many choices in front of you. If you are looking to grow your unique talents and leverage them for something truly meaningful, while being in a great company, you've come to the right place.
We hope you'll apply!