Software Engineering Manager - Go / Golang required at Couchbase
At Couchbase, big things happen. Every day, we’re translating vision into reality by tackling new and exciting challenges head-on. This is a breakthrough stage in our company, where the enthusiasm of our employees and leadership team is infectious and growing. You’ll have the opportunity to learn new skills, grow your career, and work with the smartest, most passionate people in the industry.
You are an Engineering Manager responsible for expanding and leading our teams building Couchbase Cloud products. Couchbase is growing rapidly, and the Cloud teams are at the forefront of our growth. You'll join at an ideal time to make a big impact. Our systems have scaled well to date but we need to expand our capabilities an order of magnitude. This means we need to conceive, design, build, and operate complex distributed systems and delightful user experiences and you can lead the team by staying close to the code, defining the product, designing the architecture, managing the team, recruiting excellent engineers, and growing the engineering team so each member achieves their full potential.
Here's a brief look at what success looks like in this role:
*In 3 months time- you'll have earned the trust of the team and channeled their talents to establish a cadence of predictable, on-time delivery with high-quality work.
*In 6 months time- you'll have established a reputation for you and your team as predictable technicians of high-quality software that is reliable, stable and secure.
*In 12 months time- you'll have made a material impact on the engineering organization by implementing the processes and automations to ensure Couchbase Cloud has the world's finest cloud engineering organization.
This role is also open to remote work (USA, UK) as our teams are globally distributed. We are a remote-first team. Prior experience working remotely is not required, however, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy and will establish a cadence of on-time delivery with high-quality work. #LI-RemoteUS #LI-RemoteCA #LI-RemoteUK
- Manage and grow teams of talented engineers, ensuring they deliver high quality, timely work and that they are happy, motivated, and growing
- Work with the product team to clarify and specify the future of the product
- Work with other leaders to deliver cross-cutting projects across multiple regions and clouds
- Scale humans and computer systems to accommodate hyper growth
- Contribute to shaping the future of the engineering organization
- Being hands-on by contributing code weekly (outside the critical path) to stay connected with the team and their experience
- Reviewing code to ensure specifications are implemented, software is correct, and user experiences are delightful
- Key technologies this role will employ: Go (Golang), Kubernetes, AWS, Azure, GCP, Grafana, Prometheus, Alert Manager, Thanos, Terraform, Vault, Couchbase Server, Datadog
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience
- You have knowledge of public cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure, and GCP
- You have a deep understanding of software testing, testability, and supportability
- The software you review and write is sympathetic to the humans who will maintain it
- You care deeply about software quality and operability, and better ways of building software
- Demonstrate excellent time management skills and the ability to make realistic assessments of product complexity
- You are kind and collaborative
- You have back-end and front-end experience
- You enjoy working remote with people from all over the world
- Value clear, open communication. We value thoughtful feedback, regular dialogue, and collaboration as fundamental skills on our team.
- You have managed teams programming in Go and TypeScript
- You have experience with Kubernetes
- You have managed a high-velocity team that delivers software as often as they want to
- You have Couchbase Server experience
Couchbase's mission is to be the platform that accelerates application innovation. To make this possible, Couchbase created an enterprise-class, multi-cloud NoSQL database architected on top of an open source foundation. Couchbase is the only database that combines the best of NoSQL with the power and familiarity of SQL, all in a single, elegant platform spanning from any cloud to the edge.
Couchbase has become pervasive in our everyday lives; our customers include industry leaders Amadeus, AT&T, BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), Carrefour, Comcast, Disney, DreamWorks Animation, eBay, Marriott, Neiman Marcus, Tesco, Tommy Hilfiger, United, Verizon, Wells Fargo, as well as hundreds of other household names.
Couchbase’s HQ is conveniently located in Santa Clara, CA with additional offices throughout the globe. We’re committed to a work environment where you can be happy and thrive, in and out of the office.
At Couchbase, you’ll get:
* A fantastic culture
* A focused, energetic team with aligned goals
* True collaboration with everyone playing their positions
* Great market opportunity and growth potential
* Time off when you need it.
* Regular team lunches and fully-stocked kitchens.
* Open, collaborative spaces.
* Competitive benefits and pre-tax commuter perks
Whether you’re a new grad or a proven expert, you’ll have the opportunity to learn new skills, grow your career, and work with the smartest, most passionate people in the industry.
Revolutionizing an industry requires a top-notch team. Become a part of ours today. Bring your big ideas and we'll take on the next great challenge together.
Check out some recent industry recognition:
Want to learn more? Check out our blog: https://blog.couchbase.com/
Couchbase is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Couchbase are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.