Staff Software Engineer - Platform at Crunchbase
Atlanta, GA, US / Austin, TX, US / Boston, MA, US / Chicago, IL, US / Las Vegas, NV, US / Los Angeles, CA, US / Minneapolis, MN, US / New York City, NY, US / Portland, OR, US / San Francisco, CA, US / Seattle, WA, US
Crunchbase is the best place to discover innovative companies, connect with the people behind them, and uncover new opportunities. Over 50 million professionals—including entrepreneurs, investors, market researchers, and salespeople—trust Crunchbase to inform their business decisions. We believe diverse thinking fosters the discovery of new solutions and surfaces old problems that need answers. We are democratizing access to opportunities so that people and companies with different perspectives can accelerate innovation for a better future. We are proud to build products that will shape how companies and people connect for the future.
Crunchbase is committed to a positive, diverse, and inclusive culture by hiring for potential, focused on the inclusion of people who have different ways of thinking, different viewpoints, different backgrounds, and different skill sets. We value a transparent and open culture that positively impacts our teams and our products.
Crunchbase has a remote-first approach, and is open to hiring in these locations:
Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle
Engineering at Crunchbase
We’re working to build an unparalleled innovative company data graph, and are continually improving that scalable, flexible platform and rich client application to connect the world's companies and entrepreneurs. Our mission is to turn data into knowledge and make it accessible for everyone to explore and search.
Platform Engineering at Crunchbase
The APIs and Distributed Systems built by our engineers ensure we have a scalable, real-time platform capable of serving Crunchbase data to our users, application, customers, and partners. Our brand is our dataset, but building out ergonomic interfaces, a solid and rich user experience, and a ton of mechanisms for accessing that data requires building many pieces of associated tooling, documentation, and libraries.
What You'll Do:
- Architect systems capable of serving as the brains of complex distributed products
- Think in microservices and APIs - develop and expand our ecosystem of composable, reusable, isolated, single-purpose services
- Create highly testable and rock-solid service implementations
- Make important engineering decisions that balance numerous non-engineering factors with technical considerations
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services -- participate in a data-driven culture
- Research, prototype, and implement solutions to thorny big data and scale problems using the best available tools
- Thrive in a rapidly changing environment, continuously working to adapt our process to new circumstances while serving as the bedrock in our culture of mentorship
What We're Looking For
- 5 years of experience or more with strongly-typed, object-oriented languages, such as Scala, Java, C#, or Kotlin
- Comfortable building applications with functional architectures and mentoring others on best practices
- Working understanding of computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- Motivation to participate in ongoing learning and growth through pair programming, code reviews, application of new technologies, and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with our tools (Scala, Postgres, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes) is a plus, but not required -- if you know something better, we may use that instead!
Crunchbase values fostering growth and developing our craft by offering a generous Learning and Development reimbursement policy for all employees to use towards classes, events, conferences, and more. We look for ways to give back to our community by giving 4 days off for volunteering per year. We understand the value of taking time to refresh and offer flexible paid time off. We are working to build a better future for everyone, and offer an annual carbon-offset paid by Crunchbase for all employees. These are just a few examples of our generous benefits package, check out our careers page to find out more.
Crunchbase does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. Every day our team is honored to work with entrepreneurs and innovators from every corner of the globe, and we aim to build a team that reflects the diversity of our customers. Each individual at Crunchbase brings their own perspectives, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures with them, and we believe that a more diverse team creates more innovative products, provides a better service to its customers, and helps us all grow and learn as individuals.