Are you curious, driven, and collaborative? Do you want to work at one of the most innovative and impactful biotech companies in the Bay Area? Mission Bio’s Tapestri Precision Genomics Platform was #2 on the TheScientist’s 2018 Top 10 Innovations list. And single-cell sequencing, which we focus on, was voted Nature Methods Method of the Year 2019. Our mission is to enable our customers to eliminate cancer.
Mission Bio is a start-up providing the best-in-class solution for single-cell genomics, ranging from research to translational/clinical medicine. We are a small team that is growing rapidly, so this is an opportunity for a talented, driven individual to significantly impact the direction and success of an exciting young company. We are committed to diversity. If you are a collaborative, curious, hardworking professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive environment, we would love to meet you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Computational Biologist to take a key role in the next generation sequencing data analysis and biological interpretation of Mission Bio’s single-cell genomic and multi-omic assays. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and application of high-throughput single cell sequencing assays, statistical methodologies and analytical frameworks that will be used in both internal development programs and commercially released products. You will also work cross-functionally with wet-lab scientists, bioinformatics scientists, machine learning engineers, Tapestri customers, product and commercial teams to translate findings into actively developed cutting-edge products.
- Apply knowledge of computational biology for the development of multi-omics single-cell NGS assays.
- Develop and apply bioinformatics and statistical methods to genomic data sets that will be used to identify new product opportunities and guide development of a variety of single-cell applications
- Investigate datasets to undercover trends and root cause of errors that impact system performance. Build analysis tools and performance metrics that will allow continual monitoring of assay performance
- Communicate analysis results to internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate with research scientists, marketing, and customers to support project planning and commercial launch
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, computer science, or related quantitative field.
- Experience working with single-cell data and/or good understanding of the signal and noise in single-cell data. Experience with multi-omics data is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to assess assay performance and derive biological insights by evaluating single-cell sequencing results using data visualizations and statistical tests.
- Functional experience coding in at least one programming language (Python, Perl, C++/C ) and a statistical computing language (R, S, etc.)
- Strong experience in statistics, data analysis and pipeline development.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex problems.
- Ability to contribute independently and collaboratively, and to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills to work with both experimental and computational scientists in a collaborative environment.
Desirable qualifications considered as plus:
- Industry experience, or at least 2 years postdoctoral experience especially in single-cell bioinformatics.
- Machine Learning, statistical analysis & data science methods development for single cell multi-Omics.
- Experience with NGS-based assay development and optimization.
- Solid understanding of molecular biology.