Software Engineer at Berbix
San Francisco, CA, US
Berbix is building identity verification and fraud deterrence as a service. Founded by the former engineering and product leaders for Trust & Safety at Airbnb, we empower companies to confidently answer the question: “Are you who you say you are?"
This is a question many online platforms need to answer about their users. We help by providing developer friendly SDKs that allows our customers to easily leverage our best-in-class ID verification and proprietary fraud detection services. This enables our customers to determine if users on the other side of the screen are who they say they are.
Office located in the Castro, close to great restaurants, gyms, coffee, and bars (we've temporarily transitioned to distributed work to do our part in protecting the health and safety of our team and our community and are monitoring the situation and will only return to the office when safe to do so). Located near the Castro Muni station and 6 blocks from 16th & Mission BART station. We are a company that values the well-being of our employees and we strive to cultivate a healthy and inclusive work culture. We offer a robust benefits package to our full-time employees, including:
-100% company paid premiums for medical, dental, & vision, 50% company paid premiums for dependents
- Flexible and generous PTO + 13 holidays
- 401 (k) retirement plan + company match, AD&D + life insurance
- Monthly wellness allowance to spend on your mind and body
- Professional Development allowance to learn new, and grow existing skills
- 12 week, 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- Daily in office lunch + healthy office snacks and Ritual Coffee
- Commuter benefits - pre-tax + $50 monthly stipend to use on commuting or parking
- Regular office social activities like Fun Fridays and Monthly Bagel Breakfasts
As a senior full-stack engineer, you’ll be expected to take a problem statement from definition to production code. You will be empowered to research the best solutions for any particular problem, architect a solution, develop and test that solution and ship it to our users. In addition to working directly with the founders, you’ll partner with the existing engineering and data scientists with backgrounds at Google, Snapchat, Airbnb and previous founding experience.
The Berbix product space is wide-ranging, with end user facing client code to collect ID information, backend systems to process that information, customer-facing dashboards to configure and consume the processed information, machine learning systems to intelligently reason about the information collected. It is a versatile stack with many different parts, and we’re looking for engineers who relish multi-faceted and cross-domain challenges.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design solutions to complex customer-driven or end user-facing problems.
- Write specifications to make the solution and steps concrete.
- Work across different components of a complex engineering system, from frontend to backend to infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design and support to understand requirements and ship thoughtful solutions.
- Writing high-quality code to optimize for extensibility and maintainability.
- Engage in hiring additional engineers to the team to support ongoing and continued growth at the company.
- Engage in code reviews to ensure a high level of software excellence across the team.
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- BS or higher, in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience.
- Experience working at a small company with diverse responsibilities is a bonus, but not required.
- Interest and ability to learn additional frameworks and programming languages as needed.
- Experience working with the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
Berbix is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We aspire to promote a diverse and inclusive environment for all current and future employees.