Backend Engineer at Projector App
Remote / United States of America
At Projector, we’re on a mission to help people communicate with purpose to effect positive change. We’re building a graphic design platform where anyone is invited to turn their ideas into beautiful visual stories, with tools that are powerful, collaborative, and pure fun. From content creators, to small business owners, or creative teams looking for a better way to work together, we want to make it easier for more people to meaningfully connect with their audience through good design.
We’re looking for Backend Engineers to join our team and help us tackle the technical challenges of bringing professional-grade graphics, GIFs, videos, presentations, social posts, and more, to a real-time collaborative space on the web.
If you’re a mid to senior-level engineer that loves working on early stage consumer products and is looking for a challenging role with a small engineering team, we’d love to hear from you.
About the Role
In this role you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of distributed system projects including data modeling and storage, feature-based business logic, designing and building new REST endpoints and custom websocket protocols. You’ll work closely with our product design and client engineering teams to design great technical solutions that allow us to realize our product vision; and you’ll have a direct impact on the product as you support us in building and scaling these services. Our backend is written in TypeScript (and some golang) running on Kubernetes.
What you'll do
- Work closely with product design and client engineering to plan new product features.
- Work in TypeScript (and occasionally golang) to implement new business logic and REST endpoints for our web client.
- Design and implement new data models in a mix of SQL and document based storage engines.
- Write test suites to ensure that new functionality is working and remains stable through iteration.
- Debug and fix backend production issues that get reported through automated monitoring and user feedback channels.
- Work with our DevOps and QA teams to test and monitor releases related to your work. Maintain a clean codebase to support a growing team and product.
This might be for you if
- You have +3 years experience working on a backend that sees significant user trafficking .
- You’ve worked on a team with a shared code base and style guide.
- You are comfortable breaking down problems into pieces and working incrementally.
- You understand client/server communication and have an eye for great API design.
- You have experience with code reviews.
- You have a strong understanding of breaking changes and how to make them without breaking the product.
- You have a high bar for getting it right and are not afraid to fail along the way.
- You believe there is always more to learn and are eager to grow as an individual.
- We’re headquartered in San Francisco with a team of many traits and different backgrounds, and together we’re on a mission to help people communicate with purpose to effective positive change.
- We recently raised our Series B and have a strong customer base, including leading Creative Agencies, DTC brands, and design-forward small businesses.
- We’re committed to creating a friendly and inclusive environment and approach our company policies with a lens for inclusion and flexibility.
- We believe in transparent, open-minded leadership and expect the same from team members.
- We meet weekly to discuss priorities, things that aren’t going well, and showcase our progress. We have an open door policy and encourage feedback from all team members.
- We are lifelong learners and look for opportunities to take on new challenges and expand our skill sets. We encourage trying new things, failing fast and learning from our mistakes.
- We believe great work speaks for itself and allow flexible work hours to accommodate the different schedules of the team.
- We’re committed to the sustainable well-being of our team. We offer strong startup salaries, equity, and generous benefits and perks.
Benefits & Perks
- We offer 100% coverage for medical, dental and vision health insurance for both employees and their dependents.
- We offer a life insurance policy at $100,000.
- We want you to think about your future and offer an optional 401k with a matching program.
- We support all the seasons of life and offer paid parental leave for both mothers and fathers. This starts at 6 weeks for fathers and goes up to 16 weeks for mothers.
- We believe time off is good for your soul and for your work, and ask everyone to take at least 10 days vacation each year (but encourage as many as 20 days). We have a separate sick leave policy, as well as 10 holidays each year.
- We support growth and offer an annual learning development stipend of $2000 for professional development and $500 for personal development.
- We want you to be productive and offer remote employees a one time stipend of $2000 for your home office setup.
- We partner with Trinet and offer a range of benefits through their services, including pre-tax commuter benefits, FSA and HSA options, plus additional life insurance coverage.
Role Location: We are looking for talented people and where you live or work is less important than your ability to be an effective partner. With the majority of our team currently located in the Pacific Time zone, working productively with them is key to the success of this role.
At Projector, we believe employing a team with diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions will make our team and our product stronger. We are an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.